Is it too late for me to volunteer for Mars Mission One?
We all know people who will vote Trump/Pence, and I am no different. My daughters college roommate is one, a neighbor down the street who has not one, but two Trump signs displayed on his lawn is another, and a millennial co-worker of mine is a third sampling of seemingly normal people who will vote Trump/Pence. I have tried to understand their perspective, and this is what they shared with me about why the are voting Trump:
“He’s good at business.”
I suppose this might be subjective. I have no respect for his unprincipled style of business. He files bankruptcy in order to avoid paying people, and he does not pay taxes. To me that is unethical, not good business.
“I’m voting for him because he is not a politician.”
That reasoning is unreasonable. The equivalent would be hiring a dentist who isn’t a dentist, a surgeon who isn’t a doctor, an auto mechanic who has never checked his own dipstick.
“I don’t really know or care about politics. It doesn’t matter to me who is president. It won’t make a difference in my life.”
This person should not vote- my opinion. Ignorance may be bliss, and I relish bliss, but in this instance ignorance has the potential to create life changing problems for many, including the ignorant.
She is handing over the freedom she takes for granted to a bully, a fascist dictator who incites violence at his rallies, a man who sexually assaults women and then brags about it, a man who plans to build a wall after separating families for deportation, a man who threatens to imprison those who oppose him and threatens to sue everyone, a grown man who is up all night tweeting insults like a middle schooler whose parents are asleep. This isn’t The Apprentice, and reality television is not the reality of Trump. He is a misogynistic racist demagogue…and he is endorsed by the KKK.
What if Trump dies in office? It is a possibility. He is 70 years old, and although he claims to use “locker room talk” I doubt he has ever actually seen the inside of a locker room. My point is that if Trump were to die in office we would be in a whole new kind of trouble, as VP Mike Pence would step in.
Does being a conservative extremist make Mike Pence any more ethical than Trump? Campaign finance records from his 1990 run for Congress show that Pence, then 31, used political donations to pay his personal credit card bill, his home mortgage, groceries, golf tournament fees and car payments for his wife.
Do my three samplings of Trump voters understand what Pence’s policies are?
Mike Pence has voted:
- NO on the Fair Pay Act — which calls for equal pay for women — three times.
- NO on enforcing anti-gay hate crimes.
- NO on prohibiting job discrimination based on sexual orientation
- YES on making the Patriot Act permanent
- YES on Constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage
- NO on letting shareholders vote on executive compensation
- YES on barring EPA from regulating greenhouse gasses
- NO on enforcing limits on CO2 global warming pollution
- NO on tax incentives for energy production, conservation, renewable energy, investing in homegrown biofuel
- NO on criminalizing oil cartels like OPEC
- NO to Planned Parenthood funding, resulting in the closure of multiple Planned Parenthood clinics in his state which inadvertently created an HIV outbreak in one county in Indiana, by shutting down access to the only HIV testing centers available to many residents.
And ladies, Mike Pence cares about your uterus. As governor of Indiana, he signed the most abortion-restrictive regulations in the nation, banning abortion even in cases where the fetus has a “genetic abnormality”.
I mailed in my democratic ballot a week ago…and now I’m trying to figure out how one packs for Mars.
November 6, 2016, Daily Prompt: Relish~ <a href=”https://dailypost.wordpress.com/prompts/relish/”>Relish</a>