Senator Dick Durbin (D/IL) sums up why Kavanaugh has no business in the Supreme Court.
Dick Durbin, in these 4 minutes, tells you all you need to know about this nominee.
Brett Kavanaugh will most likely become the Supreme Court Justice, a life time appointment, this week.
Donald J Trump has his indictment insurance in Brett Kavanaugh, and this is business as usual for the GOP, who openly play dirty to get what they want.
Kavanaugh will become what has been the swing vote, the 9th Supreme Court Justice, but because he’s a far right conservative there will be no swinging. He will change the balance of power in the Supreme Court.
Kavanaugh’s people have only released 10% of his records, of which 6% can not be spoken of, because Trump said so. It is customary for a judge to release 100% of their history for review.
The information Kavanaugh’s attorney is sharing is trickling out while the hearing is underway. 40k pages late the night prior to the start, 1k yesterday at 1pm.
Brett Kavanaugh’s track record
They may hide Kavanaugh’s positions during the hearing, but here are a few published by ‘Politico’ on 7/9/2018:
- Abortion and birth control: Kavanaugh argued in a 2015 dissent that Obamacare’s mandate for contraception coverage infringed on the rights of religious organizations.
Digital privacy: He wrote, a “critical national security need outweighs the impact on privacy occasioned by this program.”
- Workers’ rights: Kavanaugh wrote a 2016 “employers can require workers to waive their right to picket in arbitration agreements.”
- Religion and schools: Open to widening the flow of public funding to religious schools, a proponent of school vouchers, agrees with the use of a public address system for student-led and student-initiated prayers.
- Food labeling: He sided against U.S. meatpackers who argued that the Department of Agriculture was violating the First Amendment by requiring labels disclosing where each step of the meat production process took place.
- Net neutrality: He called the FCC’s net neutrality order an “unlawful” First Amendment violation in a 2017 dissent.
- Financial regulations: He opposes the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau — a powerful banking industry watchdog first envisioned by Elizabeth Warren — to be unconstitutional.
- Environment and climate change: Kavanaugh believes in climate change, but not in Obama era EPA rules, such as the attempt to curb air pollution that crosses state lines and climate rules for power plants.
What A Justice Kavanaugh Would Mean For Environmental Law
For the past two days Kavanaugh has answered well rehearsed questions for Republican Senators. Their hard hitting questions have ranged from the names of all the girls on his daughter’s basketball team, to his knowledge of history dating back to the federalist papers.
This is not a high school civics test. What this is, is a hearing to decide if this man, Brett Kavanaugh, should be appointed to the SCOTUS, a lifetime position.
For Democrats Kavanaugh has offered a wide selection of reasons as to why he can not answer their questions:
- “There is precedent on this that I defer too”,
- “There is ongoing litigation on this topic”,
- “There is pending litigation on this topic.”,
- “I can’t answer political questions”,
- “That is a hypothetical question.”
Kavanaugh also likes to run through the Democrat’s allotted time by:
- Asking them to repeat the question several times
- Rather than answering questions with his beliefs, he answers by regurgitating what other judges believe or have ruled,
- He doesn’t remember, but have you met the girls he coaches in basketball? Because he can tell you their names again.
Meanwhile, Zena Bash, the woman who was accused (I jumped on that bandwagon) of flashing the white supremacy hand signal on Tuesday, and whose husband penned a strongly worded denial, shaming anyone who accused her of doing so, was more blatant this time.
Clearly, this is a game for her.
Despite his best efforts we have learned: Kavanaugh has received over $1 million in advertising, funded by the NRA. (He also had $200,000 in personal debt recently mysteriously disappear, which has not been mentioned this week.) The NRA has admitted to funneling Russian money into GOP campaigns. My question— is Kavanaugh Putin’s choice for our Supreme Court?
The same way Trump won’t denounce Putin, and NRA owned politicians deny gun violence is a problem, Kavanaugh refuses to say anything the NRA would disapprove of.
Need more information?
- He believes contraception is abortion.
- He has stated he would end the Affordable Care Act.
- He doesn’t seem to mind Zena Bash’s nonsense behind him.
Kavanaugh is controversial, not because of the idiot flashing gang signs behind him, but because was chosen for the judicial position by a president who is under a federal investigation that has resulted in numerous guilty pleas and plea deals, a president who has been named as an unindicted co-conspirator, a president who, as sure as this hearing is boring, will at some point be indicted for treason, obstruction of justice, financial crimes, and who knows what else.
Senator Amy Klobuchar asked Kavanaugh whether he feels a sitting president can be investigated during impeachment hearings. He finally had a straight forward answer:
“I did not take a position on the constitutionality. Period.”
Well, maybe not so straight forward. She asked about what his thoughts are now.
Trump has chosen Kavanaugh because he has made clear in the past that he believes a president is above the law. The gop is rushing this hearing through, before the midterm election on November 6, because they know they will lose their advantage as the congressional majority. They want to vote him in before they are the minority.
Senator Kamala Harris (D/CA), is a great prosecutor. She doesn’t ask a question unless she already knows the answer.
Senator Harris asked Kavanaugh if he has discussed the Mueller investigation with anyone from the Kasowitz, Benson, Torres, law firm, Donald Trump’s personal attorneys. She said “Be careful how you answer.”
Of course it’s a trick question, but it’s a valid one.
If he answers no, and it turns out he had met with Trump’s attorneys to discuss the Mueller investigation, he has committed perjury. Lying under oath is illegal. If the GOP is willing to overlook his lies now and appoint him regardless, he could still be impeached for the offense once the Democrats have regained the majority.
If he says yes, he will have NO CHOICE but to recuse himself from all matters related to that probe. He has stated he will not recuse himself.
Kavanaugh stuttered his way through a half assed denial, saying he does not know who is in that law firm, and stating the Mueller probe is an unavoidable topic of discussion, because it’s what everyone is talking about. He is careful to answer in a way that he can deny understanding what was meant.
Harris repeated the question several times:
“Have you met with and discussed the Mueller investigation with anyone from the law firm Kasowitz Benson Torres?”
Kavanaugh: “I would like to know the person you’re thinking of.”
Senator Harris: “I think you’re thinking of someone and you don’t want to tell us.”
Kavanaugh’s face reddened… there was a long silence, and…
Republican Senator Lee jumped in to save him: “Law firms are huge and he can’t possibly know who works there. Law firms are like rabbits, they spawn new ones… “
The question was repeated Thursday, and in a long round about way, Kavanaugh finally said the answer is yes.
Another high point of the hearings so far has been Senior Democratic Senator Leahy. He angrily asked Kavanaugh if he’d had access to his own stolen emails years ago during the confirmation hearings of another judge.
Senator Cory Booker (D/NJ) announced he was releasing the portion of Kavanaugh’s information labeled “classified” to the public. He saw no reason for its classified status other than to keep Kavanaugh’s political and legal history out of public scrutiny.
Booker was warned, and the rule read— by doing so he was risking his job in the senate. He said “Bring it.” They won’t “bring it,” because they’re getting what they want.
Thank’s Cory. Those emails you released shine light on Kavanaugh’s
Newly Released Emails Show Brett Kavanaugh May Have Perjured Himself at Least Four Times
We Americans will have an opportunity to respond to this appointment by voting on November 6.
And as always, by calling our senators. Tell them what you think of Kavanaugh.